Sender:
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:28:05 +1000
7bit
From:
Bob Abela <[log in to unmask]>
You have a lot of carnivores in there!

My 65 gallon, plexiglass tank (with a built-in wet-dry filtration
system) is a very basic set-up. Nor do I consider it a  display tank, so
I have not taken pictures of it. But I get a lot of enjoyment observing
the critters in there.

Other mollusks presently in the tank include:

Nassarius graniferus, pappilosus, Nassarius troendleorum - They're
excellent scavengers, lively, and fun to watch. A graniferus bit at a
pappilosus the other day, you should have seen the reaction. It did a
backward somersault! I'm trying to get pictures of the troendleorum (a
difficult species to find on Guam).

Cypraea annulus, Cypraea moneta - slowly disappearing as the crabs get
to them. Great herbivores though.

Cymatium rubeculum, Cymatium aquatile - carnivores, the aquatile just
had made a meal of a large clam.

Euplica deshayesi and Euplica turturina - These collumbellids are great
little herbivores too. They are breeding like rabbits. I've recently
taken a few extreme close-ups of their egg cases. With a hand lens, it
is possible to the watch the eggs develop. It takes about a week before
they are released from the case. The babies aren't surviving though. The
little domino damsels I have are always picking at them off the glass.

Strombus microurceus - Conchs are great to watch and I add different
species all the time. Again, these guys are often fall prey to the
crabs.

I suppose it is time I make a serious effort to eradicate the crabs.
They too can be fun to watch but, if you wish to keep snails, they're a
pest.

Cheers,
Bob