Sender:
From:
"Monfils, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:07:25 -0400
It would take more than one incident to change my opinon of someone from
"trusted regular client and top quality collector" to "shell crook"!
Anything can happen in the mails.  I have sent literally thousands of
packages of shells over the years, to at least a hundred countries.  Most of
them arrived in good shape.  Some never arrived at all.  A few arrived
damaged.  In any case, I see it as my responsibility to get the shells to
the buyer in good condition.  It is simply unreasonable to expect a customer
to pay for something he/she never received - or even to pay half.  If you
ordered a refrigerator from an appliance company and they sent an empty
crate, would you be willing to pay half?? If the refrigerator was stolen off
the truck, would you pay half?  If I want to be able to trace a parcel, I
register it.  If I want to have proof of delivery, I pay for a return
receipt.  If I want reimbursement for any possible loss or breakage, i
insure it for full value.  If I fail to take these precautions, then I am
totally responsible for any loss - not in the sense that it is "my fault" -
but in the sense that the shells are mine until they are in the hands of the
customer and paid for.  If I take all these precautions and the parcel still
disappears, that's tough luck - but it is my tough luck.  I send a
replacement parcel if possible, or refund any prepayment.  I'm sorry about
your loss, but I don't think it is good business practice to blame it on a
"trusted regular client" when there are so many real crooks out there.

Paul M.