Sender:
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:44:39 -0700
7bit
From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Brian, Welcome to Conch-L.  You may be somewhat unique to our group,
hence the slow response by others (or they may all be at the COA meeting or
out at the beach). I have tried to keep snails at various times in
terrestrial settings (a little good dirt, a little moss and some wood).
They seem to do just fine as long as they are herbivores and you can provide
food they like to eat and keep it moist.  Most of the ones I have tried
[Allogona townsendiana (Lea,1838), Monadenia fidelis (Gray, 1834) and Helix
aspersa Muller,1774] do just fine eating what I have in the garden that
snails and slugs attack anyway (lettuce, kale, basil, spinach, Hostas ) or
leftovers from the refrigerator.  I give them choices and see what they eat
first and most.  I know that Helix aspersa breeds very nicely in my compost
bins near my house.

I haven't tried to breed the snails in captivity so I can't help you there.
But there are people that raise snails for eating (escargot) and to provide
snails for biological control of pest species [Rumina decollata (Linnaeus,
1758) to control Helix aspersa in orchards in the Southwest U.S. for
example].

Keeping carnivorous snails with herbivores would present problems for the
herbivores.  Around here Haplotrema vancouverensis (Lea, 1839) eats the
herbivores.  I live in Olympia, WA. So I'm familiar with local species.

I'd be interested in hearing what species you are working with and your
successes and challenges.

Good luck, Bert Bartleson