Sender:
From:
Linda Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 20:40:59 +0000
Hi, Everyone!

I happened to pick up a bag of Trachycardium muricatum, allegedly all from Puerto Rico, at the bourse.  But, I have encountered a problem - most of them have the typical yellow lined on each side with pink inside the beak of the one valve and thus characteristic of Caribbean shells of this species.  But I have found several that are missing this, i.e., they appear no different from the Florida form.  Is it possible that they all are from Puerto Rico, regardless?  Or has someone combined two different lots?  (This is not crucial, as I will probably use a lot of them for crafts, since there were so many pairs in the bag.)  But the scientific side of me is wondering about the discrepancy.

Can you enlighten me?

Thanks ahead of time,
Linda