Sender:
From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:52:15 +1200
Interesting beast... rather nice!

It has to be a buccinid (there's seemingly an operculum attached to
the foot in the ventral image; unfortunately the columella isn't
visible, but I very much doubt that there are plaits), but I hesitate
to place it in a subfamily... it could be Photinae, for example, or
Pisaniinae.

Doesn't quite look right for any "turrid", though some Mangeliinae
and Borsoniinae have no more sinus than Buccinidae do. The sinus on
this shell, best seen in the growthlines in the dorsal view, takes up
all of the lip "above" the canal, and is typically buccinid-shallow.

It is possible that this is not a native, but an introduction
(possibly all alone, fallen from a ship or trawler); I can't find it
in any book covering any region. So I too would be interested to find
out what it is and whether it's something new and native.