Sender:
From:
Leslie Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 02:43:40 GMT
Hi David
With Margarita there is a much less cross-over of species Florida as you have
noted.  Belize however has Mayan Ruins you can go visit it you want to trek
inland. Good land & Freshwater snails too!  Belize has officially banned
shelling since about 1987?  But usually turns the eye.  I don't think they
care in Margarita.  I'd go for the Margarita trip, and get distinctly
different materials.

..just don't let the park ranger catch you with hermit-crabbed shells at dusk!

Have a great trip!
Signed, Cooped up in Houston,

-----------------------

Folks,
I'm looking for a quick (5-day) cheap off-the-beaten path getaway to include
good shelling-- and it's come down to Margarita Island versus Belize.

>From the write-up on Margarita in Am Conchologist versus the write-up on
Belize on the Jacksonville site, it looks like Belize tends to have more
typical Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico species that I'm likely to already have.
There are more unusual species to the main part of Caribbean on Margarita, no?

Anybody have a sense of the micro fauna comparison?
David Kirsh
Durham, NC