Sender:
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:28:37 -0700
8bit
From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Keith, I was in Australia on the East Coast this last March and April.  I
asked for the same advice you are and received little help from the Aussies
or others on the list (maybe no or few East Coasters are on Conch-L).  I
collected three areas:  Hamilton and Hayman Islands in the Whitsunday
Islands (North of where you will get).  The other place was Noosa Head about
100 km N. of Brisbane.  Not surprisingly, I found different shells each
place.  I would suggest trying Noosa (at the rocky edge of the main beach).
The sandy beach (where all the people are)is barren except for Donax.  If
you like hiking try the Noosa National Park trails.  I found collecting to
be more successful in rocky areas except for Nassaridae, Acteonidae and
Pinnidae found on the sand flats.  I found very few cowries, cones, olives,
strombs and no volutes intertidally.  If you are diving you will probably do
better but many sites are off limits to collecting.  The laws on shell
collecting are contradictory and confusing. As a result, I collected few
live shells. Good luck.  I loved my recent trip and the Aussies are very
friendly, nice people but the flight is one long sucker.  Bert Bartleson in
Olympia, WA