Sender:
From:
Javier López <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 17:06:46 +0100
Well, I'm not sure if this information will be useful for you, but it's
better try it.
I was in Australia in Nov. 2002. First at all I asked in the customs to take
shells from there and they told me there were no problems for common/smaller
shells (surely you will have problems with cowries, conus and volutes) I
also took with me shells from Atlantic, including a big Charonia lampas and
they didn't put hits, but they looked all my shells.
I traveled from Queensland to NSW and went up to Darwin and I kept about 4
kilos of small shells and I didn't have any problem to take them from the
country
With regards to the kind of shells, if you dive or you make snorkel the
possibilities they are enormous. I simply look for in the beaches at low
tide and the variety and quality is worthwhile.
I traveled Queensland from Cairns to Brisbane and I stopped in all the
beaches that I found near the highway, and each 50-100 km the material it is
different.
Good places are Byron Bay, Port Macquarie (Shelly beach), Bowen and Hervey
Bay. Shelly Beach is a bit difficult to find despite it's "inside" the town
but it's really a shelly beach.
I hope it's useful
Regards from Lanzarote
Javier Lopez