Sender:
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:49:17 -0600
7bit
From:
David,

Convention has the pronunciation as: Cre-PID-ula, where the antepenultimate
(third syllable counting from the end, or one before the second to the last)
is stressed.  Thus Xen-OPH-era, Gas-TRO-poda, Cy-MA-tium, Mu-RI-cidae, etc.
Of course, I still pronounce it Neri-TEEN-a rather than Ner-IT-ina.  But
some of us are slow to learn and as Andrew mentioned, consistency is
probably more important.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, wishing the best for those folks in the path of