Sender:
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:15:10 -0600
7bit
From:
I will gladly accede to Henk's identification, but with some clarifications
as to my goof.  To date I have only found Nerita ocellata occurring in
Indonesia, while Nerita argus seems to occur from southern Japan, through
the Philippines to French Polynesia.  Thus we have at least one area of
overlap (Indonesia), but the range data would make Cecil's shell N argus.
The kicker is that I have found specimens from both Tahiti and French
Polynesia (in the N argus range) that exhibit traits of N ocellata rather
than N argus - a smooth parietal shelf, no columellar teeth, and an operc
lacking a strong medial tooth.  All seen on Cecil's specimen and all traits
of N ocellata.  Then we have the spiral cords, a trait normally associated
with N argus.  I have also found that juvenile N argus are miniatures of the
adults with a granulose parietal shelf, strong columellar teeth, and an
operc with a strong medial tooth.  Thus the N ocellata-like traits are not
from an undeveloped specimen.  So far I have listed these aberrant specimens
as variations of N argus, but with the possibility that we might have a
population of N ocellata occurring southeastwards with N argus.  Of course,
any decent "lumper" would just call these two very similar species a single
variable species and be done with it.  I have kept them separate because
there seem to be a number of easily discernable differences,
not-withstanding specimens like Cecil's.  Without locality data,
identification of these specimens is a bit problematic.

Tom E.