Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 22:31:07 -0700
7bit
From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Linda,

I have specimens from both the Philippines (very thin, the "standard" Tibia
martinii) and from the South China Sea (very thick and heavy, like T.
curta).  The two are quite different and I had planned on one day doing an
article on them.  In the mean time, here are some measurements taken of the
two shells that highlight just how different they are.

South China Sea (deep water)
151mm total length
3mm outer lip thickness
1.5mm thickness inside lip
34.5 grams total weight
No white subsutural band
Weak purple banding
Seven outer lip digits
Moderately deep spiral cording
Unevenly tapered teleoconch

Philippines (deep water)
116mm total length
1mm outer lip thickness
.05mm thickness inside lip
7.2 grams total weight
White subsutural band
Strong purple banding
Five outer lip digits
Shallow spiral cording
Evenly tapered teleoconch

As you can see, the South China Sea specimen is almost five times as heavy
as the Philippine shell and has a much thicker shell.  The Philippine shell
is extremely thin and feels almost like a common garden snail, Helix aspersa
(or whatever the most recent name is).  I also have comparison photographs
if anyone is really interested.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico where it is snowing tonight.