Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 22:40:51 -0700
7bit
From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Hey Andrew,

You might enjoy the upcoming issue of American Conchologist.  We have an
article about the deep sea gastropod from the Indian Ocean with iron pyrite
"armor" covering the soft body parts.  The metal overlays a chitinous inner
core and covers the body in overlapping plates.  The plates are black when
the animal is first recovered from the sea but turned reddish with rust
after being immersed in lab ethanol.  The article has some nice photographs
of this unique mollusk.

The black layer you refer to on neritids and thiarids from Fiji is also
found on neritids from other areas.  It is easily mistaken for periostracum,
but as you mention, it actually covers the periostracal layer.  It does not
seem to dissolve in bleach like the organic periostracum.

Tom E.