Sender:
From:
Doug Stemke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:43:47 -0400
Hello Everyone.

    There have been so many serious topics here I hope there is room for
one a little less headie.

    My wife would like to go to an Orchid Show in Santa Barbara the first
week of July.  I thought it might be a nice opportunity to spend a little
quality time on the coast.  I don't intend to collect any live shells
although I'd love to get photos of any I find hense my questions.  1) Are
there any tidal pools worth expoloring in the Santa Barbara area (with
directions, if at all possible) 2) Are there any good places to do beach
collecting of dead material, like a 'helpful' jettie or other useful beach
feature?  3) Will I be considered in violation of the California laws if I
am simply photographing (and of course returning) specimens I find?

      I've shelled further south (almost 25 years ago!) so I understand I
shouldn't be expecting a whole lot, but it would be nice to find some
interesting material.  On that note, one species I'd love to find is
Haliotis cracherodii.  Because I understand the collecting laws are pretty
strict in California, is it legal to even collect empty Haliotis of this
species said to be 'abundant' or does one need a permit for that too?

   I'm also a general naturalist so any other pointers about the area
before I start hunting down places to hike or explore would be
appreciated.  I may have a few follow up questions but I think this should
get me started.

    Thank you in advance for your help.

Doug