Sender:
From:
Andrew Dickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 21:47:55 -0400
Patrice Bail wrote:

> Dear All Volutists,
> *Actually there are two species confused in Scaphella gouldiana complex:
> The dwarf creamy-white unicolored shell with four stong straight
> columellar plaits, still undescribed, and the true one with large brown
> spiral bands with only three weak oblique columellar plaits.  This fact
> has been well pointed out by Andrew Dickson in "Of sea and shore" 1996
> 19:1.   The original picture of Holotype of Scaphella gouldiana
> (Dall,1887) show a pale form of the latter.

  After I had written my articles I realized the columellar plaits of
the smaller unicolored Scaphellas are more similar to the plaits
belonging to Scaphella junonia.  I also point out that this suggests the
subgenus of Scaphella "Clenchina" is invalid.
  Emerson and Old belived this subgenus was trivial based on the
comparison of radula charactaristics of S. contoyensis, S. evelina and
S. junonia.

Andrew Dickson