Sender:
From:
David C Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:34:16 -0500
>I saw some of the websites on cold seeps and mollusks with some of the
names you provided. There are some images although none give much idea
about size. Are we talking Tridacna gigas or geoducks?

More in the geoduck size range.  The handiest reference at the moment
lists seep-associated fossils of an extinct group at about 30 cm and
lucines over 20 cm from the Cretaceous of Greenland.  However, the
average deep sea bivalve is usually quite small, so the size really
stands out.

Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections
University of Alabama, Box 870345