Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:56:28 -0300
8bit
From:
Well Charles,

I also do not take too much care if shells are chipped or have
growth scars, thatīs natural! But about the shell colors i must
disagree. I think that trying to preserve shell colors is
important, not only for their beauty, but also for identifying
them. Sometimes color can be used as a criteria to easily
separate two close related species (others you can not, of
course...).
As color tend to disappear when shells dry out and we can not
store them in water, i guess oiling them is a good practice.
Some periostracum are very hard to maintain, as those of
Adelomelon ancilla or A. brasiliana, and glicerine or oil are of
great help in those cases...

regards
Fabio Wiggers

http://br.download.yahoo.com/messenger/