Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 06:15:28 +1000
8bit
From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Cecil & Olivier,

All three are most likely the -nucleus- variety. All have nearly identical
shapes--from above and below. The apertures are quite similar in shape and
curvature, and their high gloss finishes disqualify them from being a Cypraea
granulata of any flavor. (See the HSN article at
http://cowrys.org/archive/NSN369CY.HTM#B for color images of adult & sub-adult
-granulata- along with a long-dead -nucleus- from the central Pacific and the
star of the article, a 'throwback' -nucleus/granulata- specimen collected in
Hawaii. Someday I'll get 21st century computer gear and digitize the video of
the living animal. After looking through this item, it may be difficult to
figure out where to draw a line between -cassiaui- and the 'throwback.')

The sub-adult -granulata- in the article very clearly shows its (interrupted)
transition from immature to adult shell, which Burgess clearly described in his
first book, The Living Cowries.

While the -nucleus- shown at the link below all appear to be adult (the faded
one seems to be a dead-collected specimen) none have the lateral callussing
that is present in adult (and sub-adult) -granulata-. See the bottom of the
page in an article at http://cowrys.org/research/gaskart.htm for an image
showing just how heavy the callusses are on a typical -granulata-.

I hope some of the above is helpful.

Aloha,

Bob Dayle