Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:36:07 -0500
7bit
From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Moshe Erlendur Okon wrote:
> Shalom to all,
> How common (or rare) are specimens of Pleuroploca gigantea over 400mm in decent condition and how does one go about obtaining one (apart from flying to America to dive for one...)?
> Sincerely, Moshe Erlendur

Here in So. Florida, P.g is very common, and specimens around
400mm are not unusual. Specimens over 18" (450mm) are rare, and
I have never seen a live one over 21" (480mm) though I expect
they are out there.

The adult lip does not thicken as in other gastropods, and the
big guys prey on S. gigas which put up quite a fight and damage
the lip. It's really amazing how strong these big gastropods
are. Many live P.g have damaged lips, and the big ones almost
always show recent damage.

Local shell dealers sell them cheap. Most have the periostracum
removed (which I think ruins the shell) and the lip filed.

To get one in nice, near-life condition, you'll just have to
come over here and do some diving.