Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 20:02:46 +0200
8bit
From:
"A. Cuneyt Birol" <[log in to unmask]>
Dear  Conch- L'ers

I uploaded some pictures of the so called "niger tigris from  New
Caledonia " to the net so that anyone who is interested might have a
look at it. Its full data as given to me by the dealer is also given
below :

SPECIES: Cypraea tigris   Linne, 1758
LOCATION:  Taken by snorkeler at 15'  In grass beds ,New Caledonia
SIZE: 86 mm's (25mm =1 inch)
CONDITION: FINE +++
SPECIAL NOTES: I hate to rate niger shells, but would say 80 %, If it
is 95 to 100% niger they are over 1000.00, but this is a really a
great shell !!

Any idea anyone whether this data is real or not?  Also there is a
very interesting spot on one side of the dorsum as if someone has
drilled an inch wide hole on the shell and repaired the shell from a
piece taken from a regular tigris or as if a drop of thinner has faded
the  color on that spot.  This spot can be seen on the second and
third pictures.  The shell is very glossy and there are no
inperfections on the side where the spot is.  Is it possible that this
spot is natural ?

 Links to the pictures :

http://img428.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim15253va.jpg

http://img428.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tigrisspot7la.jpg

http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tigrisspot19ui.jpg

By the way,  I want to thank to Doug and Chris for their comments on
the subject.

Best regards,

Cuneyt
 Ankara / Turkey