Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:46:56 -0500
7bit
From:
Problem is, who would buy anything rated less than 7 (or for that matter,
even a 7)?  If you were a dealer, would you even tie up capital to inventory
anything less than an 8?  With this hobby's compulsive fanaticism over
having to have the biggest and most gem-like shells, what would be the point
of having a 10-point system?  All you'd ever see on the market would be 8's
(good), 9's (fair) and 10's (gem) with a few 8+, 9++ and 10- thrown in.

The system is driven by the market culture.  By whatever rating nomenclature
used, the market will only pay for the top most ratings and to justify
optimal pricing dealers will finagle with +'s and -'s in one form or the
other.

Jim, you're whistling in the wind.  But, good luck in you quest.

Marlo