Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:37:17 +0100
From:
Marco Oliverio <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Sender:
Dear Guido:

my public apologies if you have perceived my words as if were directed to
you: they in fact weren't. I know your professional seriousness. And I
don't believe there is ALWAYS a financial purpose in describing shells:
usually there isn't any such purpose. .... usually.

As for the familial placement of that species, I frankly consider as
convincing the reasons by Fehse

Fehse, D. 2000 - Beiträge zur Kenntnis der Ovulidae (Mollusca:
Cypraeoidea). VI. Ein lebendes Fossil von Somalia. Club Conchylia
Informationen 32 (1/3): 55-58, pls. 1-2

for placement of Chimaeria in ovulids, close to the fossil(?)
Sphaerocypraea. Admittedly, until no anatomical and/or DNA data will
confirm/deny this hypothesis (or indicate other placements), we must rely
on shell features. So far, the evidence brought by Fehse seem to me
stronger than those by Briano (the original author of Chimaeria
incomparabilis).

... as a matter of curiosity: what would be the price of this species if it
were described as a giant ovulid from Somalia?

Marco Oliverio - Evolutionary Biology PhD
Research Scientist

Dipartimento di Biologia Animale e dell'Uomo
Viale dell'Universita' 32
I-00185 Roma   ITALY

phone  +39.06.49914307
FAX    +39.06.4958259