Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:34:38 +1000
8bit
From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Ross,... and others,

You make cogent points for conchology and malacology in particular, and science
generally, in all four cases:

1.) Since most "right wingers" are apparently not adept at science, they fear it
and, fearing it, they either try to ignore it or hide from it or, failing that,
decapitate it.
2.) See 1.) and substitute "fundamentalists" for "right wingers."
3.) Until this most recent conservative admistration, minimal governmental
interfacing WAS the norm. Now, I hear the cry (from Plato's REPUBLIC), "Let not
the peoples' friend be lost unto them." Meaning, keep us in power forever, that
we may protect you fully. What followed that call is remembered well by those
who have read The Republic.
4.) In our American surfeit, we, above nearly all others, should be altruistic,
almost to a fault. While most other parts of the (third) world scrabble for a
living, we have lots,... and then some. A little stewardship on our part isn't
asking too much.

Let's hope that the pendulum doesn't swing too far to the other side, though,
because too much of anything is still too much!

Bob Dayle