Sender:
From:
Bernd Sahlmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 22:58:17 +0100
Just to speed up the discussion again:

During my study of biology at the university of Kiel I learned from my
teachers that it is ok to shorten Linné to L. and Lamarck to Lam., if you
want to spare place and time in an article, because everybody dealing with
systematics should be able to resolve these shortenings without any doubt.
All other unusual abbreviations have to be resolved prior to their permanent
use in that single scientific paper (eg. BDD, P&S etc.).

I feel that the term "Linnaeus" came up as a somewhat crude translation of
Linné into pseudo latin by english speaking authors some times ago. Because
it looks more learned than Linné it was taken over by a lot of people.
In my databases I most time use L. to avoid all problems. Everybody may read
it as he wants! But by the discussion at our list I became aware of these
discrepancies for the first time!

Bernd Sahlmann
from Munich

scaphopod homepage:
www.berndsahlmann.de
(There will be a major update of the scaphopod databases in the next few
days)

--
DSL-Aktion wegen großer Nachfrage bis 28.2.2006 verlängert:
GMX DSL-Flatrate 1 Jahr kostenlos* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl