Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:04:28 -0500
8bit
From:
Beatriz Lauranzon Melendez <[log in to unmask]>
Hi coleagues, the Cuban malacologist on Eastern Cuba are studing Polymita
in this moment.

The past year we finished a project supported by WWF about some
cuestions on ecology, distribution and the most importan topic: the
relationship between Polymita and the different use of land.

The principal cuestions are:

How the differents use of land impact on Polymita?
Where are located the populations?
What is the use of Polymita by the local communities?
What are the recent population densities of Polymitaïspecies in each
plant formation?
What are the menaces on Polymita?
Does coffe plantation support good Polymitaïs population?

These and other cuestions are answered in the report.

In this project we study differents populations of all Polymitaïspecies
for several year (last 10 years), even the never studed before P.
brochery. Tha data shown a general declination every year, even some
populations are dissapeared now, sorry, it is a fat. The last two year
were very dry. P. sulphurosa is known for 5 populations only so separated,
sorry, thatïs true.

There is an ilegal trade by tourist that come to Cuba searching for
Polymita in Baracoa, it afect P. picta mostly. This species may live on
grassland and coconut plantation, appears in low densities on Rain forest.
We have gotten these data also working with The Field Museum of Chicago,
USA, on Rapid Biological Inventories.

P. versicolor is used for local people to fish.
P. brochery is protected by its different natural form to another species
of this genus, the local people donït recognise this one into Polymita,
It lives on xeromorphic schrubs suportin hig temperature.

Polymita in this moment is distributed on different Cuban Regions, not on
Eastern Cuba only like the people think commonly.

This genus is distributed from Camaguey, Las Tunas, Holguin, Granma,
Santiago de Cuba until Guantanamo provinces, that is Sabana_Camaguey
Region, Central_Eastern Region and Eastern Region. Any way P. sulphurosa
is only in Sagua de Tanamo, Holguin and P. brochery is only in Maisi,
Guantanamo.

The reality on Polymita is hard, sorry.

There are many results during all these years, these are some ideas only.
I am very thanksfull to all people by their interest on this Cuban genus.

Thanks in advance, sorry I have used the mail of my wife for this purpose.

David Maceira
Malacologist
Centro Oriental de Ecosistemas y Biodiversidad. BIOECO.
Santiago de Cuba
Cuba

Polymitas are only found on the Eastern end of Cuba,