Sender:
From:
Larry Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:29:39 -0400
Art:

The family Ovulidae (Cyphoma and Simnia) comes to mind as smoothies who
don't burrow.  Apparently the mantle which covers the shell (which is why
smoothies are smooth in the first place) is for camouflage on sea whips
rather than sand-moving like the moon snails and marginellas, to name
other smoothie groups.

The closest thing to an exception the other way (burrowing spinys), that I
can think of, is the pen shell, Atrina rigida, that spends its whole life
burrowed and anchored into the sediment.

The exceptions nature makes to her own rules are always amazing.

Larry Eaton
Raleigh, NC