Sender:
From:
"Monfils, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:16:41 -0500
Hermit crabs can also move shells from somewhat deeper water into shallower
water where wave action can move them onto the beach.  Also, though I've
never read any research on this, it seems to me that molluscivorous fish
could also do this, probably more effectively than crabs.  It is known that
many species of fish swallow live molluscs whole.  It is also known that the
shells of consumed molluscs move through the digestive tract of fish,
emerging at the other end with little or no damage.  In fact, I read
somewhere that gastropods with tight-fitting opercula have even passed
through fish alimentary tracts alive!  And, it is known that some species of
fish move into shallow water at night and out into deeper water during the
day.  So, considering all those known facts, it would seem to me that shells
from relatively deep water might be carried into shallower water and
deposited there by some fish species.  Anyone ever heard of such a thing?