Sender:
From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 01:16:04 -0500
Hello Nabih,

I'm not familiar with the "carotte" specimen idea. Is this related to a particular technique?

I remember reading "The Sea Around Us" when I was 12 and vacationing with my parents in Puerto Rico, my first time in the Caribbean. So Rachel Carson has a special meaning for me too. I'm glad she was able to inspire us.

A question I have about the sieve technique is:  what do you do when you find something really small. You've got to put the filled sieve down while manipulating a wet micro-shell into a container of some sort. That must be a challenge at times!

David

>Another technique, well illustrated in books about shells is the
>deep-sea "carotte" specimen, also allowing the determination of the
>living medium of the shells, specialy from the depths.  I think, even, that
>the carotte are sold as is.

>Finaly I have to admit that I was touched by this mail as it reminded me
>of the late Rachel Carson, writer of the first book I red about the sea
>"The Sea Around Us" which was the reason I came to love the sea.
>--
>Nabih <[log in to unmask]>

Men do change, and change comes like a little wind that ruffles the curtains at dawn, and it comes like the stealthy perfume of wildflowers hidden in the grass.--John Steinbeck