Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 08:48:33 -0400
From:
"José H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Sender:
Dear Bob,

Please check the two works below. They list the
species of gastropods (and bivalves) most likely
to be consumed as food along the coasts and
islands of the "Central Western Atlantic", i.e.,
between Hatteras and Venezuela. Sizes and general
features of the different species are discussed
therein. Please send a note in case you have any questions about the lists.

Leal, J. H. 2002. Gastropods. In: K. E. Carpenter
(editor) The Living Marine Resources of the
Western Central Atlantic. Volume 1. Introduction,
mollusks, crustaceans, hagfishes, sharks, batoid
fishes and chimaeras. FAO Identification Guide
for Fishery Purposes. The Food and Agriculture
Organization of the United Nations, Rome, pp. 99–147
http://shellmuseum.org/GastropodsLeal.pdf

Leal, J. H. 2002. Bivalves. In: K. E. Carpenter
(editor) The Living Marine Resources of the
Western Central Atlantic. Volume 1. Introduction,
mollusks, crustaceans, hagfishes, sharks, batoid
fishes and chimaeras. FAO Identification Guide
for Fishery Purposes. The Food and Agriculture
Organization of the United Nations, Rome, pp. 25–98
http://shellmuseum.org/BivalvesLeal.pdf

Cordially,

José
José H. Leal, Ph.D., Director