Sender:
From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 01:02:11 -0400
Chad,

That's useful information. I'm not entirely sure how the reef at Tobacco Caye is classified but the entire north-south reef is barrier reef on which Tobacco Caye sits. I noticed that there's a lot of coralline algae in the splash zone where I found the micros, some of it encrusting the shells of course.

I think I noted previously that the dead, exposed reef was created by the surge of Hurricane Mitch in 1998, according to the lodge manager. Some mangroves have begun to take root on the leeward side of the exposed reef. That leeward side is quite shallow, with Thallasia beds through much of the area. The officials didn't seem concerned about the shallows, only about the exposed portion.

David