Sender:
From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:57:34 -0400
Dear Alex,

Thank you for your very informative report. The literature is biased
toward the odd occurrence of a sinistral mutant. Collections are
also! The tendency is not to report the lack of such occurrences in
substantial samples such as your prodigious experience provides. A
journalist would liken the your report to "dog bites man;" what his
editor (and the readership) wants is the opposite - "man bites dog."
That's no way of getting a handle on the frequency of either form of
canine-hominid aggression.

Similarly, only when more than one specimen is found in a single
"sample," can we begin to impute the frequency of reversal. Such a
situation rarely presents itself, but the three references I gave in
an earlier posting and the experience of certain legendary collectors
like Phil Poland (see <http://www.jaxshells.org/philp.htm>) can begin
to yield an understanding. Thus far two things are reasonably clear:
(1) Most gastropod species have never been found to have a reversed
mutant (that means reversalis very rare by species across the
taxonomic breadth of the Class), and (2) the observed frequency of
such anomalies, when it can be inferred with some level of accuracy,
varies widely from species to species. The hint that biological
perturbations such as parthenogenesis (Campeloma) and selective
breeding (Laciniaria, Lymnaeidae, Cornu aspersum, and maybe others)
may allow perpetuation and increased frequency of reversed mutant
stocks allows us to understand a tiny bit more of the higher
frequencies of reversed mutants in certain taxa and populations..

Harry

Harry G. Lee, M. D.
4132 Ortega Forest Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32210 USA