Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 05:43:09 -0700
7bit
From:
Linda Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
cc: Philip Zaleski <[log in to unmask]>
HI, Everyone!

I was getting my Master's at NYU in '65, and that was when Veronica still had her shop.  I spent many a pleasant afternoon looking at shells and "chewing the fat" with her.   She would often let me sort through the bivalves, as she did not get as many customers who wanted them (same today, eh)?   That was when Bill Old was still living, and often he would breeze in too.   I have many fond memories of her and of the members of the Manhattan Shell Club.  After our meetings on Sunday aftrnoon, many of us would adjourn to the Captain's Table restaurant for dinner and drinks.   That was also when Morris "Karl" Jacobson and Anthony D'Attilio belonged to the club.

One time the club went to Orient Point out on Long Island, a cool day, and I remember falling all the way into the back bay on a very cool day.   I was comforted when we stopped at a restaurant on our way back to the city by a huge bowl of "steamers" (Mya arenaria - or it was so named then) and plenty of hot coffee.

Ah, those were the days

With fond memories,
Linda Bush