Sender:
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:19:01 -0000
> Does C. histrio range into the Marshalls to your knowledge?
>
> David

I have always believed I have a few histrio I picked up while we were on
Kwajalein in the early 80's.  My ID may be wrong, but that is what I've
believed all these years!!

To substantiate this, I quote p. 38 of "A Guide to Shell Collecting in the
Kwajalein Atoll" by F. B. Brost and R. D. Coale, copyright 1971 (my copy is
the third printing, 1981)

"Cypraea histrio (Gmeliln) Size:  1 1/2 - 2 1/2" Rarity: 3 (on a scale of 1
to 6)

Cypraea histrio has been called C. maculifera, C. reticulata, and C.
maculata by various authors, but C. histrio is the currently accepted
name.  The background color varies from tan to blue-gray, and the surface
is covered with solid brown reticulations.  Often a wide brown band cuts
transversely across the back.  The edges are heavily spotted with black and
brown.  The base is dirty white and the teeth are lined with brown.  A dark
brown blotch is present on the columella and the teeth are extended in this
area.  Reticulated cowries are found on both the ocean and lagoon sides of
most of the Atoll islands near shore under wave tumbled rocks."

Joan, Huntsville, AL (NASC)