Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 14:39:30 -0700
8bit
From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Thanks José, good words about the magazine are always nice to hear
(especially from the editor of Nautilus).

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA

PS.  To make this shell related (and cleaning related):  The latest issue
has some images of the pond snails Physa gyrina Say, 1821, and P. acuta
Draparnaud, 1805.  The specimens used were collected in the 1940s and 1950s
and are extremely brittle and fragile.  They were cleaned in an ultrasonic
cleaner by baths of less than 20 seconds.  I believe that too much longer
would have meant broken shells.  Of course, normal marine shells like the
thousands of nerites I have cleaned can remain in the cleaner for any amount
of time required and I never worry about most land snails.