Sender:
From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 13:56:19 -0600
Hehee, Messr Barclay still thinks it would be nice if there was
some agreement on whether we should attempt to use the
classical or medieval Latin pronunciations.  Before I ever
spoke to another shell collector, or attempted to speak a
word of Latin, I had my own ideas about how the vowels
were pronounced, and a "feel" for which syllables should be
accented that were probably modeled after Spanish class.
Once I started talking to other shell people about shells, I
found out that most Americans pronounced the words using
some rules I didn't know.  I did know that the way we
pronounce "Caesar" violated a couple of my fuzzy rules,
and tried to let that be a guide to adjusting my pronunciation
so that I could be understood.  When I started reading
pronunciation guides, I really couldn't find any for a form
of Latin other than classical Latin, which seems to be the
version used by most of the world.  The pronunciation guides
were fairly close to my original pronunciations, even though
I'm sure I Americanized some of the words or Texanized
them.  I have adjusted, but I still find myself giving alternate
pronunciations for a shell name until someone can recognize
what I'm trying to say.  Sometimes I think it sounds like I'm
just stammering.  I think it would be easier if we all attempted
to use the same guide....

As for Latin nomenclature, I agree that the reason it has
stuck around is that it works pretty well, and I also agree
that it isn't broken.  Dick points out that it has stood the
test of time, "although not without a few bumps in the road
along the way."  I'm not really in favor of trading in the
buggy, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to install shock absorbers...
I think standardizing endings might take out some of the
future bumps, and would help us in the Computer Age to
avoid synonymies based on generic placement and species
name agreement.  It would surely make computer searches
easier, and could probably be accomplished without
causing confusion as to which species was being referenced.

Have a great day,

Don