Sender:
From:
Doug Stemke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:57:11 -0500
Hello All.

    It is very clear that many dealers offer Galapagos shells, and no, these
aren't likely shells from 'older collections' considering the sheer number
of specimens one sees.  I am also aware that there is some major disputes
going on the islands regarding immegration to the islands from the mainland
and issues around fishing for sea cucumbers for Asian markets.  My
understanding was that the seas around the Galapagos were generally
considered totally protected, but that seems to be somewhat in error.
    Rather than try and read between the lines, does anyone know what the
US, Ecadorian, and World regulations are regarding the issue of harvesting
of sea life on the islands?  I am particularly interested because I will be
likely taking a Biology class there next May and it would really be helpful
for the purposes of our class discussions to know where things officially
stand.  My attempts to find things on-line so far haven't really turned up
much of anything.

Thanks!

Doug