Sender:
From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:12:28 -0600
I think the crux of what Marcus was saying was that
limited collecting in any marine environment probably
doesn't hurt anything.  The molluscs, fish, and all the
other creatures live and die, and it's not particularly
material whether they all get ground apart by the sand
or end up in some sheller's cabinet.  Something as
ridiculous as a country-wide ban on taking live shells
of any sort certainly didn't come about as a result of
environmental enlightenment on the part of politicians--
those type things only happen when there is an econ-
omic advantage to such laws.  You probably know
very well that the locals don't bother to know, or follow,
the laws regarding fishing in the reserve, and you also
know that the authorities don't enforce the laws on
them.  That's because the laws weren't aimed at them,
they were aimed at you...and me, and any research
institute that will pay the fees to conduct research there,
or any other person that will shell out the funds in order
to gain "legal" access.  Perhaps I'm a cynic also, but
I'm not ignorant of what goes on, nor naive enough to
suggest that all the locals who struggle to survive there
should be branded as criminals simply because they
use the resources that surround them.

Cheers,

Don