Sender:
From:
Paul Monfils <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 00:16:51 -0500
It is not direct contact with the wood that is the problem, but release of
acid vapors into the air, in the presence of moisture. If you will be
keeping the collection in an area with controlled low humidity you may not
have a problem.  But in areas of moderate to high humidity acid vapors are
released into the air, where they linger inside a cabinet with poor
ventilation, and gradually react with the shell itself, converting part of
your precious calcium carbonate collection into carbon dioxide, water vapor,
and loose calcium salts, which appear as white dust on the surface of your
shells.  Well, not exactly "on" the surface of your shells - that would be
bad enough - but the white dust actually WAS the surface of your shells.

Paul M.