Sender:
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 14:21:11 -0400
great story Tom, Sort of reminds me of a canyon in southern California that
I once hiked weekly before I became ill. I hiked these mountains looking for
ancient natural bonzi trees. One day I found myself braving a canyon who's
walls were so steep that I needed climbing gear. as usual if you need a 9
iron you only have a putter and this was no exception, being a true idiot I
went for it anyway, getting into the canyon was the easy part , getting out
, forget it . As I surveyed the site for bonzi's (none found , too damp and
dark) I found a type of fern that looked like a cross between sword and a
leather leaf, I took 3 leaves and placed them in my cigarette pack . On the
climb out I heard a roar of water and as I got closer I found a 50ft water
fall in my path, problem was , I 'm at the top and it was sheer all the way
around except for a cliffhanger movie type ledge.
I climbed out onto this ledge and worked my way down to a point that opened
up to a larger ledge. needless to say water+shade+granite=moss, the best
part was the beautiful view I had as I fell 30ft into the pool at the
bottom. I emerged rather irritated (those who know me could figure this
out).
As for the fern it was a bit damp as was I and my cigs . the fern turned out
to be a species not found in that area and it's closest natural habitat was
several hundred miles to the north at an altitude 2000 ft higher. It sort of
dawned on me that just maybe this microhabitat is sort of an island and thru
some strange quirk of nature a seed was dropped by a wayward bird or cast
upon the wind . I never found it anywhere else.
As for bonzi, my favorite was in a canyon that you needed the gear to climb
into , at an elevation of about 7,500 ft I found a California cedar, about 8
ft tall , truck was as round as a small hottub. A true bonzi that is still
there as where I would go none would be stupid enough to follow. Mark & Peta
Bethke
Hollywood, Florida