Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:16:49 -0500
7bit
From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Toni Stanzione wrote:
> Thanks for sending this story. It really shows how important it is for man to think before they try to play with nature.  TONI

The tire reef blunder was no accident. Here in SoFla, the ocean is seen
as a cheap way to dispose of any waste. Those tires were NOT put there
to form habitat, they were put there because it was a very cheap way to
get rid of them.

Each day, 300 million gallons of partially treated sewage spews onto the
reefs from six sewer outfalls in Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade counties.
Palm Beach County Reef Rescue has just scored a major victory, forcing
one of the six to develop alternative disposal, but the outfall will
continue for another two years while deep well injection and plant
modifications are under construction. This first win took almost five
years. We hope to have all six shut down in another seven years.

We have also used the system to force the Army Corps of Engineers to
comply with turbidity regulations in their "beach renourishment" projects.

Reef Rescue documents violations of the federal Clean Water Act and
other existing laws, then forces - in court if necessary - compliance.

Our website (which is badly in need of upgrade, I know) is at
www.reef-rescue.org

We are 100% volunteer, and we are getting REAL RESULTS. There is a place
on the website to donate if you really care. Thanks in advance!

mike gray