Sender:
From:
Doug Stemke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 03:33:50 -0500
Hello All.

    I recently purchased a large Melo from a dealer in the Philippines
(via Ebay).  I'm pretty sure the range is from Australia to New Guinea.
In any event the data which is quite detailed lists the shell as from the
Philippines.  I have further confimed the non-existence of this shell
through 'Shells of the Philippines'.  I don't quite know how to bridge the
subject with the dealer, nor frankly know what to do about it.  It is such
a large shell that I'm not likely to return it on the other hand I don't
like the thought of haveing the wool pulled over my eyes.  Data is
generally pretty important to me so I want to ask our community how they
bridge the topic.
   Its funny, many years ago back at the Louisiana Malacolgical Society I
had offered to trade a Conus from the southern Carribean in the annual
show. Emilio Garcia was there and upon taking a look at told me that he
was 'Sorry, but the data on the shell was incorrect'.  I was embarassed at
the time because I had purchased the shell from a well known dealer as
well.  I pulled the shell from the and it has been with me ever since.
    In any case, I appreciate your thoughts.

Doug