Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2007 20:53:09 -0400
From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
Well, beyond that thorny problem, a boat is needed and scuba gear plus
some "insider" info about where the shells are. You'd do better up
around
Boynton Beach. See, between all the runoff from the sugarcane industry
and the heavily-fertilized, nitrogen-enriched sod the rich people
have to
have (can't have them walking on gravel like ordinary mortals), there
is a
massive explosion of bluegreen algae that coats and smothers everything.

Two years ago, Scott Schubbe drove down with me and all we saw in the
upper Keys was thick mats of algae in the place we used to find gorgeous
Cypraea zebra and cervus.

Go with one of the groups to Eleuthera or Abaco (while they still have
relatively pristine conditions). I guarantee you'll go home a much
happier
shell collector!

Best regards,
Jim