Sender:
From:
Olivier Caro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2007 17:14:51 +0200
How many forms for Homo sapiens Linnaeus?
Do you think ICZN would be welcomed if it recognized forms, and human forms,
in Animalia ?
This would introduce, among well defined items (family, species,
subspecies), something that cannot be "isolated": for example, albinism.
White specimens are often discovered within a species, but the problem is
that they are not on the same grade of albinism: some are pale, some are
white, some tend to be pale; where is the frontier? Niger cowries illustrate
the problem: when can one begin to talk of a niger eglantina ?
May one reserve the "niger" adj. to jet black specimens ? Those who hare 95%
black will not be happy.
So, 50% ? But what about the shells with only 35% black ? Those with  1% of
melanism are melanized also, but will they have to stay among the common lot
?
Forms are subjective, and may, in my opinion, be let to the use of
collectors, shell lovers ; I don't know how scientists could deal with them.
That's the reason why I follow, in my labels, a tip that was introduced on
this list one or two years ago: Genus and name in italic, authority and form
in regular.
Italic for what is considered as true, regular for what I believe.

Cheers

Olivier Caro