Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2007 18:33:53 +1200
8bit
From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
> I've only one burning question,  in which museum?
> Are all museum equal,  I dont think so.
> Shouldn't there be some specific ruling appointing one or two specific
> museums in each country and not every single museum which pretends to
> have a malacological department.

Nobody can dictate what institution may keep types. How else do recognized
institutions become recognized repositories? My university's Geology Dept
is such a recognized repository.

> Concerning buying or keeping the holo-para and other types, I think
> it's rather a trivial discussion.
> I've been extensively collecting for over 40 years one particular
> family and only came across 2 or 3 of these shells.
> My guess is that over 99,99% of the holo and paratypes are being kept
> in "a" museum.

Loss of type-material is anything but trivial. These specimens are THE
specimens which define the species, and need to be referred to by
researchers. They are priceless to science. How can you refer to a
specimen which is unavailable and the location of which is unknown? My own
collection is known and available to numerous researchers, but I still do
not attempt to be a "recognized repository of type-material" (much as I'd
like to).