Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:56:46 -0400
8bit
Marcus,

However, they must crack first before they explode :-)
Never having seen it happen, only seeing the end results in museum
collections, I would agree that they may have exploded.

> Correction - Paryphantas explodes! I had a few on my desk and one of them
> literally blew up making a
> loud sound and launching small pieces around...
>
> Marcus
>

> No there are also gastropods that crack. One specific example are members
> of the genus Paryphanta.
>
> I suspect that the cause of the cracking is due to the the different
> expansion and contraction rates of the periostracum and mineral matrix.
> For example, if the mineral matrix is thin and the periostracum relatively
> thick, when the relative humidity varies, these layers will contract (or
> expand) at different rates. The mineral matrix may break while the thicker
> periostracum holds tight.
>
> The converse would also be true. If the mineral matrix was thick (think
> Mercenaria) and the periostracum thin, the matrix will not crack yet the
> periostracum will crack and flake off.
>
> Regards,
> Charlie

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> 12:20

> click leave the list.

Regards,
Charlie
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine