Sender:
From:
worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2007 21:56:34 -0400
My first visit to Elise Malone's shell shop on Sanibel Id. in the
early 1970's was one of the more influential field trips that I took
when I first got started in the hobby.  Who could resist buying more
shells than budgeted after seeing all of the great specimens lined up
in the glass cases around the shop! .

Also, Veronica Parker Johns' shell shop in midtown Manhattan on Third
Ave. during the 1960's and 70's was always a fascinating place to
visit. You never knew which conchological luminary would just
happened to be hanging out at her shop that day -- Tucker Abbott,
Bill Old, Morris (Karl) Jacobson, Tony D'Attilio, Eliezer Rios, Don
Bosch, The Janowsky's, Harold and Emily Vokes, and the list goes
on.  Her first shop uptown was formerly the MacArthur Shell Shop that
goes back many years before that - possibly back to the
1950's?.  Over the years I've actually come across a few shells with
MacArthur Shell Shop data tags.  One thing that you could always
count on when visiting Veronica's shop was the uncountable numbers of
people who did a double take and gawk in the angled front window when
passing by; a few brave souls occasionally ventured in to
incredulously ask what she was selling.  In her low gravelly Pall
Mall voice she always had a humorous and often acerbic retort for them!

Rich
www.worldwideconchology.com