Sender:
From:
Katherine Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:02:10 -0500
The Astronaut Trail Club of Brevard has 85 current members.  We normally
gain several new members at our Shell Festival because so many in the
community find out about us for the first time.  Although we have done Shell
Shows now for 28 years.

We have excellent programs, shell of the month features, a full library
available to all members and great refreshments at each meeting.

Our club currently has the largest Shell Festival in Florida with over 30
dealers and plenty of attendance!
We send flyers about our Shell Festival to every school in Brevard.  We had
several classes come to our Festival last year and had to have their
programs signed to give to their teachers.  This year we are also promoting
with the schools entries in arts and crafts with a special Jr. Award!

About 10 years ago we had several children....we did a children's club one
hour before our regular meeting.  Members of our club took turns heading it
up so the children were exposed to experts in different areas of interest.
We even did some raffles and silent auctions with them at one cent
increments.
They also had their own newsletter.

My only experience is my grandson...who likes to go snorkeling in the
Bahamas with his grandma for shells but he has SO MANY other interests.
He comes home from school every day to at least 3 hours of homework.  He
participates in sports, plays chess. Active in his church  and has very
little time for much else.  He also helps out with his father's computer
business designing web pages.

Unfortunately, there is very little shelling on our coast.  The beaches have
been ruined with renourishment.  AND Yes children are being taught not to
touch reefs or pick up live shells and so are all the new divers taking
classes.

It really takes parents to nourish this hobby.  Our daughter started
collecting at 2 years old, she was a certified diver at 15 and enjoyed many
collecting trips to the Bahamas....But after marriage and children and a
career that took a back burner. She is a science teacher and she has her
collection set up in her classroom.

Jim and Bobbi Cordy
Merritt Island, Florida
Space Coast Seashell Festival
"Sand In Our Shoes"
January 18-20,2008
ATSC Sponsors "It's Better In the Bahamas Shelling Trips"