Sender:
From:
John Varner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:20:57 -0500
While snorkeling in the Keys, I once found a large horse conch (approx 20
inches) latched onto a full grown queen conch.  I am not sure if it was
trying to pull the queen conch out, or force its proboscis in, but crushing
the shell probably wasn't the mechanism.  Shrotly after picking up the two
animals, the horse conch let go and pulled itself into its shell.  The queen
conch, apparently still alive, did the same.  I returned both to the bottom,
separated by a few yards to give the Queen conch a chance at a get away....

- John