Sender:
From:
John Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:21:43 -0600
Dear Jim & Harry,

According to Snyder (2003, Catalogue of the marine gastropod family Fasciolariidae, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, special publication 21, p. 156) the horse conch should be known as Triplofusus papillosa G. B. Sowerby, I, 1825.  Sowerby's name is a senior synonym of gigantea Kiener, 1840 according to Snyder.

I know little about Fasciolariidae but this is an interesting outcome given the wide use of the name gigantea.

Yours,

John K. Tucker