Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:23:44 -0600
7bit
From:
"Martin H. Eastburn" <[log in to unmask]>
Hum

I think Belinda Boyle has some good points here.  Bird in the hand is
better than two on a web page methinks.

I, for one, wish there were a blue book like the (really yellowish) used
for automobiles in the US for loan and buy/sell.
As a non-PhD in the various sciences of Shelling - I"m Physics, Math,
Engineering myself - little historical price guide in brain.

A good and somewhat up to date pricing guide is needed (Maybe this is a
task for COA to set as leader stance.)
A good descriptive example on how to price a shell.
 e.g. - encrusted or not.  Limestone coating or not.  Parasites left or
not.  Hole discount, crack
discount, bleached discount, live collected addition, and so many odds
and ends that make a shell a shell to different
people. ...

1. I know that Museum quality examples run the gambit of ugly but the
only one we can get to live in a tank.
 [ I know that since I have one from my collection in a very well
respected Museum in Hawaii.  They had ugly. ]
2. Private collectors have the same but tend to be lower in the spectrum
unless one has Fort Knox as a vacation home.
3. Schools tend to fit in both class 1 and 2 as budgets and pecking
order in priority drive from nothing to stellar.

I fully agree in the serious issue of buying something that may sound or
look good and pay quality dollar when only
it is a garden shop quality cement whatnot or plaster whatnot.

This might be an excellent speakers article in July!!!

Searching and looking for answers,

Martin

--
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.