Sender:
From:
Katherine Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:16:13 -0500
Sorry Marlo...I have to disagree with you about NO Shell Clubs.

Most of our knowledge in the field of Malacology came from shell club
members.  Without shell clubs and COA we would NEVER have met so many
wonderful, knowledgeable people and scientists.

Our first shell club (we knew NOTHING about shells) was the Santa Barbara
Malacological Society.   They took us under their wing and immediately
taught us to identify the local shells and used only the Latin Terms.    We
gained a lot of knowledge really fast.

YES Shell Clubs are social...but so are human beings!    Typing e-mails just
doesn't hack it as much as meeting these people in person....we have met so
many wonderful people and made so many friends!  There is nothing better
than to sit and "pick the brain" of people who are so much more
knowledgeable than we are.  That's why we get together.

The e-mails and internet would be okay if you want to be a hermit!

Dr. Abbott used to say the amature collector and shell club members were the
ones he could get most of his knowledge and information from because he
didn't have time to spend on the field like they did!

Shell Clubs have contributed $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  to the field of Malacology.
Our club alone has provided Thousands of Dollars in Scholarships to students
who are doing great research...and I know many other clubs have also.
Bringing a group of people together with like interests is the way to go.

Our Shell Club has provided education in many classrooms and libraries
throughout Brevard County.  There is VERY little in the science textbooks on
mollusks.  I have taught classes on mollusks all day long at Merritt Island
High School because the teacher had no knowledge or information on this
subject.

SHELL CLUBS AND THEIR MEMBERS ARE VALUABLE!!!    The only reason Shell Clubs
are disbanding is because they have not educated the younger ones and
because young people are not into clubs or hobbies.  Their only interest is
technology!

Jim and Bobbi Cordy
Merritt Island, Florida
Space Coast Seashell Festival
"Sand In Our Shoes"
January 18-20,2008
ATSC Sponsors "It's Better In the Bahamas Shelling Trips"